Monday, October 19, 2015

Punctuation part 2

via Flickr by Ethan Lofton " Questioned Proposal" https://www.flickr.com/photos/eleaf/2536358399


In this post , I once again go over the things I didn't know about punctuation.


The Apostrophe 

Although I think I have a pretty good handle on apostrophes, sometimes, when I write really fast and don't read over it ,  I mix up  's and s' . Rules for Writer explains when to use which  . For example  's shows possession  such as Mary's hat .While  s'  shows joint possession  like ; The employees' paycheck. I guess I never really paid attention becasue my main focus will always just be content rather than technicalities, but it won't hurt to go over my essay and check for correct apostrophe use. 

Quotations

I was pretty sure I had a  lock on quotations , I knew when to use them and how .  however there were certain cases that I didn't know about.  Such as using quotation marks to emphasize words used as words  and  not using quotation mark for a long quote .

Other Punctuation Marks 

In this section of Rules for writers it goes over what other punctuation can be used . I try not to stray from what I know so it was intresting learning what other marks I cold use in my essay. For example  using dashes to emphasize something rather than comas.  such as  the example used in Rules for Writers , Everything that went wrong -from the peeping tom at her window last night  to my head on collision today-we blamed on our move.

In regards to apostrophes I seemed to use them correctly even though I wasn't  fully aware of when and how. for example 
The tone  in Fifield's writing elicits somber emotions by drawing up powerful images the audience can accurately visualize

With quotations I used quotes to emphasize the title of the article I used in my essay but it seemed unnecessary since some readers could consider it a quote so I thought Italicizing would be better.

“ In North Korea’s growing economy-and America’s misconceptions about it”the author  addresses the ineffectiveness of the sanctions placed on the  communist country’s economy.

No comments:

Post a Comment