Saturday, October 10, 2015

Project 2 Outline

via Flickr by Erica Cherup " Chalk Outline" https://www.flickr.com/photos/silvermarquis/3611042004
In this post , I wearily and without much desire to do so, write not only the outline for this tedious essay but also write out my thoughts on the cautious guidance  given to me by a PDF file .

In "Introduction" it helped me cut down on sentences that were mostly background of the text and focus more on the strategies used  instead. I had a hard time in figuring out how to write it without summarizing but it helped me realize the true goal of my essay without accidentally deviating from the actual purpose . which is why I thought to kind of address my audience before diving into the essay. In "Thesis"  I generally assumed the thesis was just the last line in the introduction and didn't think too much about it but the reading helped me break it down into different questions for myself as the author and for the audience , who are the readers.  With "Develop" and "Support" I appreciated the advice for making sure my claims are debatable and supportable and that the evidence I used should not only make sense but coincide with my claims so the audience can understand it for themselves. In " Body" it cleared up the actual organization of my thoughts. I was unsure of which parts of my text to use because there are so many options and it makes it hard to decide where I should focus my argument on. However with the numbered list in the reading it simplifies the process of picking how I should organize it by separating it into the focus , evidence and conclusion.  In the subsection " Conclusion" it cautioned me against just restating my thesis or just summarizing what i wrote but  instead implies i should focus on why I wrote my argument , why I chose a certain side and why it should matter.

Intro:
Unfortunately, University students have to analyze everything: people, ideas, public arguments etc , seemingly for no reason at all ,  to confirm to  higher-ups that you can actually comprehend whatever is going on around you.  In rhetorical analysis of public arguments, specifically,  the goal is to use what you've observed and accurately pinpoint  the strategies an author, or whoever, used  to sway their audience to their side of the debate.

Thesis:
For example, in  Fifield's article, the author covers the illegal North Korean factories being operated in China despite the sanctions against the communist country. In a sucessful effort  to minimize the effectiveness of the sanctions and inform her audience of the misconceptions about the economy ; the author evokes sympathy and disapproval within her readers through the use of dreary tone, image provoking narratives, and interviews from the citizens involved.

Body:

  • focus on the tone of the text and how it would persuade an audience , as well as why it was important to pick out the tone for a pathos angle
  • focus on the narratives why they would sway an audience , and why it was important to observe this strategy for a pathos angle
  • Focus on the interviews , not only focus on the pathos angle but the credibility that is included with it and adds to the  persuasive argument why it's important to acknowledge both pathos and Credibility for this particular observation
Analytical Claims:
  • The text Fifield wrote points out the  uselessness of the sanctions as well as the little knowledge The American government and the public have on the affects of the sanctions  and highlights  one of the ways North Korea can get by them. can be supported through the quotes from the texts as well as the interviews from the citizens.
  • Fifield influences her audience to agree with her opinion successfully mainly through the use of an emotional appeal as well as credibility. can be supported through techniques used such as tone ,narrative, and interviews.
Conclusion:

 Through investigative journalism Fifield disproves the American belief of their hold on the North Korean economy and effectively sways the audience to agree with her stance mainly through the use of strong emotional appeals. As  a  rhetorical analysis for a public argument this much should suffice, as a writer and a college student being able to observe and argue the points of your own analysis , requires not only labeling the strategies used but also being able to provide answers for the patronizing questions of why and how for your readers.


Reflection: From reading Bailey and Jovanka's posts I found it interesting that everyone was interpreting the project and outlining their essay for their rhetorical situation in their own way. and the first instinct as a new college student is to panic becasue usually in high school everyone's essay is pretty much uniform , and if yours is different than it's most likely wrong,  but becasue this is left to everyone's own interpretation it's easier to see  examples of  other options in writing this essay. Overall I think they did a good job in outlining their essay and as for revising this project it just opens my eyes to other ideas for approaching the rhetorical situation.






















3 comments:

  1. I particularly liked how you referenced specific rhetorical strategies used in the text in order to drive your point home in the body paragraphs. It shows that you really understand the text and are ready to analyze it.
    However, I would be careful, as it might be a bit hard to squeeze 4-5 pages out of what you had. That's not a knock on your quality, however, it's just that you might need a bit more in your body paragraphs, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your intro. "Unfortunately, University students have to analyze everything: people, ideas, public arguments etc , seemingly for no reason at all , to confirm to higher-ups that you can actually comprehend whatever is going on around you." Haha :). I like that you chose to analyze what a rhetorical analysis is in your first and last paragraphs. I did a similar thing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved your intro and your voice througout! I think maybe a few more details might be more benefical to the outline, but everything there looks pretty good.

    ReplyDelete