Saturday, October 3, 2015

Analyzing my own Assumptions

via Flickr by Juan De Dios Santander Vela "Holy Guacomole Batman"  https://www.flickr.com/photos/juandesant/16449893891

  •  Cultures or Values we share?  The only cultural values I share within the text  are the values of capitalism . Technically since North Korea is a communist country they aren't supposed to be capitalistic but from the text we see that they have begun a  capitalistic ventures which from an American standpoint,  the way they are going about it is still kind of wrong but at least the citizens are making "some money" which is an ideal that America is based on : The citizens  making their own money , legally or illegally. 
  • Cultures or Values We do not Share? obviously America  does not support communist values as the North Korean citizens nor do I support the unfairness of workers being paid so little while working so much even though huge U.S corporations might. Actually the government wouldn't support anything in this article at all since North Korea is supposed to be sanctioned. The social values we don't share is the mindset of "let's do it for our government." if anything America is the opposite and it's more of a " let's do it for ourselves."  kind of mentality. Because Although I can appreciate the freedoms of living in American society I can also appreciate the freedom of criticizing our government when I want to (all the time) and how I want to . unlike the citizens of North Korea.
  • Connect or reflect our own culture? As I said previously the beginnings of the capitalistic mindset that is growing in North Korea is heavily reflected in our own culture . Everything we wear, eat ,and see is made from capitalism . What doesn't reflect back to our own culture is again that  " for the regime" mindset that as American citizens we were bred to disagree with. 
  • In a different time period?  The text isn't written from a different historical perspective rather it's written now in a time period where America and North Korea are not on friendly terms whatsoever. Which adds to the extreme differences between the two cultures becasue not only are they polar opposites but they are polar opposites that dislike each other. 
Reflection:  After reading Stef and Jovanka's blog I realized that some people feel very strongly about their text and have strong opinions about what it's related to. about whether they think somethings right or wrong or if they disagree completely with the author of the text.  I didn't have a strong opinion about mine per se. I thought , and still think,  it's interesting , and I think it would make a great documentary or even action movie called  " Dandong Border"  and it also made me (still does) want to be a shady businessman and make money becasue i'm poor . but after thinking about it  I do think it's wrong that they are  not paying the workers a lot , and I think it's rude that America's sanctions aren't doing too much other than hurting the citizens instead of hurting the government. 

2 comments:

  1. I thought this was a fascinating discussion because you seem to have a very open opinion on your topic. From reading other peoples posts most people seem to be gravitating one way or the other, but you discuss how you're very open, which I think is awesome. You did a great job of answering each question, and I have a very clear idea of where you stand on each issue.

    ReplyDelete