Wednesday, September 16, 2015

Thoughts on Drafting


  by JD Hancock "take my advice, I'm not using it"  https://www.flickr.com/photos/jdhancock/3553699652
In this post I evaluate the books's advice and decide what I thought was helpful and what was not.


1. Helpful

  • For the QRG genre the PIE format mentioned was useful in constructing paragraphs.  The QRG genre demands easy readability for the audience and to do that it has to be in short paragraphs. It was helpful in creating a structure of information that was short and easy to skim for the readers.
  • Organizing information was also essential to creating my QRG. It helped form how I would create a flow of ideas and  which part of my controversy I would introduce first and lead through the article with .  It also guided me in what order I would list important pieces of information, 
2. Not as Helpful

  • Considering the genre I was writing , a thesis wasn't really needed. The purpose of a thesis is to summarize the entire essay into a brief paragraph so that the reader knows what's going to be talked about it. However a QRG is a summary, and in most QRG articles each paragraph could be considered a thesis, Not that it wasn't helpful , but it just seems to be a redundant piece of advice. 
  • Writing a conclusion was also redundant because a QRG is a short news article , there's going to be a conclusion . but it's not going to include what was spoken of in the first paragraph like essay conclusions would. 
3. Meh
  • Writing an introduction was okay because the first sentence of the QRG should grab the reader's attention but I think with a nice title you kind of already do that. overall I think the advice in the book was useful for a formal essay but a lot of it could be used for structuring a QRG as well. 
Reflections:
Overall from reading the other blog posts I feel like I was right in my assessment of what was helpful and what wasn't . Mathias and Carrie Belle both agreed that the PIE format and the organization  of paragraphs were the most useful  . However Mathias noted that introductions were of some importance as well and it made me wonder if what I wrote as the first sentence of my draft was enough to hook the reader, or if the title and sub headings were enough to do that.
  1. In my draft I feel like I need to use more images to illustrate the topic better .
  2. I also think I should condense my paragraphs more into something smaller and more readable.
  3. I need to change the in text quotes and paraphrase more by stating the idea and just linking the phrases to the sources.

2 comments:

  1. For the most part we seem to agree on what the important and non-important parts are when it comes to writing a QRG. However, while we both agreed we didn't really need a thesis, you explained it in a way that I hadn't looked at before, so I'll definitely think about that! Good understanding!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree with not needing a thesis statement that defines your QRG. I think that the way QRGs tend to identify what the post is about by using topic sentences. I agree with not needing a formal conclusion too. Since the QRGs are about debates, taking one side or the other would be biased.

    ReplyDelete