Friday, September 25, 2015

Reflection on Project 1

via Flickr by Asaf Braverman " Frog looking into mirror"

In this post I analyze the ups and downs of this project
  • Challenges? The only real challenge I faced was editing and analyzing my work, because it's not something I usually do. It literally took longer to revise than to actually write it. However it was a good learning process because , in high school no one really went through and broke down the details you're suppose to go into when editing. I faced this challenge by following the advice and instructions given to me by my peers and the book.
  • Successes? This might be a minimal thing but when I researched and could actually connect all the sources I found  to get a better picture of the controversy was a success to me. I felt like a detective. For example I could link the real  reason America disapproved the bank to a scholarly source and follow up with it in my writing. 
  • Effective Strategies? The most effective strategies used were summarizing different information while using credible resources. Just the act of  condensing all the sources and connecting them together in a 3 sentence paragraph was extremely useful for this project becasue it  helped keep the structure of a QRG. As for design I just used a  basic title -paragraphs format of most articles and since it doesn't hurt anything , It's pretty effective in organizing ideas in a structured, orderly form.
  • Least Effective?   Using arguments from other perspectives . There wasn't any opinions being voiced from China about America's disapproval , I guess they didn't really care, so I couldn't use America vs. China conflict becasue it was more of America vs. the greater good  or U.S governments vs. the words of professionals. Also it wasn't effective to use the opinions from social media because not a lot of people were talking about it and if they were they were only regurgitating what articles or videos said . Only a few people had opinions but they couldn't really be used in the QRG. A complete formal writing format wasn't helpful  as well becasue this project wouldn't be considered an essay.
  • Similar to other School Experiences? This was most similar to writing articles for my Journalism class. There was research involved , adding pictures , and citing sources but not as much effort was put into researching different viewpoints or other sources.
  • Different from other School Experiences? Most school assignment were formal and required long paragraphs that didn't care about readability. This assignment was a lot more casual and also used different sources other than books and news papers to make a point, it used social media which was a different take on citing sources.
  • Would Skills be Useful for other coursework?  Yes. Summarizing. Summarizing would definitely  be useful for other coursework becasue it helps shorten all the information you learn and be able to display it for readers without having to write pages and pages of  it for them to understand.
Reflection:

In reading Chris and Carrie's Blog posts I realized that the whole project was a bit difficult on everyone whether it was trying to figure out the correct amount of  information to put in your QRG or whether it was just trying to reach the deadlines . However I think it's cool that we all gained knowledge in something (like reading your words over and over until brain hurts) and that fact alone proves it wasn't a wasteful learning experience. 

1 comment:

  1. Great reflection! Editing formally was also a challenge for me, as it's not something I usually do. I also found it really cool that you had a journalism class in high school!

    I think you hit on all the major points, especially at the end when you talked about how different this assignment was from other things and how important summarization will be in other assignments. Nicely done!

    ReplyDelete