Friday, September 4, 2015

My Major



https://www.flickr.com/photos/8011986@N02/2697873692/in/gallery-ecrans-72157629859482062/
Created by Bill Brooks


I have naively  decided to pursue an Economics degree for  my stepping stone into law school . Despite knowing what I was going to learn and the types of jobs most people in my disciple went for after college. I was unaware of the recognized leaders, and journals written about my field of study.

  • As a social science, students in this discipline gain knowledge in logical thinking and problem solving  . They learn how to analyze and predict the social , political and monetary trends in the economic sphere and as a result could use this thinking in solving several economic/finance based issues.
  •  Most people go on to work for companies, law firms or banks as financial analysts,researchers or lawyers.
  • I decided this degree on a whim. I was originally going to major in creative writing because it's my dream to  be a writer and a corporate lawyer,  but then I took an honors Econ class last year in high school and was  instantly  attracted to how money  affects  everything in such intricate ways.  I think  college is an opportunity to learn something new and being how I can already write I think it's good to major in something unexpected for me , just so I can challenge myself.
  • In the U.S , the leader of  economic and monetary policy would be economist, Janet Yellen.  She is the serving Chairwoman of the Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve, the first woman to be chairman in American History.   A leading non profit organization that focuses on economic policies would be the Brookings Institute, one of the oldest think tanks in Washington.

Reflections: In reading Lauren's post of her major in Aerospace Engineering I was highly impressed because it seems like such a difficult but rewarding major to complete and that even though she changes her mind she's still on her career path.  In  reading Chris's blog it  also seemed to me that he chose a difficult but rewarding major.  Both of them are diving into what they want and are heading down a straight path into their career while in retrospect it seems  I'm a bit all over the place. But everyone is different, and I don't regret my decision


http://uofalife.blogspot.com/2015/09/my-discipline.html?showComment=1441438628071#c1694920203171283185

.http://cbohlman109h.blogspot.com/2015/09/my-profession.html?showComment=1441440115558#c8831638927452959898  


2 comments:

  1. Zayla, it's so interesting that you found something you really enjoyed senior year of high school because a similar thing happened to me during physics halfway through Junior year of high school. I think it's so interesting how something can happen and suddenly make you change what you think you want to spend the rest of your life doing. I think economics is a great for you to pursue a degree in and maybe you can continue to incorporate writing into your eduction because it sounds like it is something that you've always enjoyed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Remember that making hyperlinks is more than just copy/pasting URLs. Check this out to learn how to hyperlink in Blogger: https://support.google.com/blogger/answer/41379?hl=en&ref_topic=12457&vid=1-635776757968972558-2239877110

    ReplyDelete