Friday, August 28, 2015

My Writing Process

  1. Writer Type

The type of writer I consider myself to be would be somewhere in between a heavy planner and a   procrastinator.  If I'm really interested in the subject of my writing then I'll attempt to plan out everything  I want to say in a rough draft/ brilliant blueprint of my ideas. . BUT if it doesn't interest me that much or  if I consider it a simple writing topic i'll put it off  and create a last minute piece of attempted genius .

     2.   My Chaotic Writing Process

I tend to plan thoroughly for topics I like , thoroughly and almost obsessively , because its' easier and more enjoyable to plan something than to actually execute it  into reality.  However it  usually means  that once I finally get it down I don't want to change anything.  When I do procrastinate , I don't necessarily review it as well as I should , since most of the time they;re always due in the early morning. It;s like a supernova, an explosion of ideas and I pick the best ones and somehow form them it to something pleasant to  look at and read.

carbonpilgrim 



       3.  Successful? Or Nah

Well....it's gotten me this far, but on a serious note , even if it has gotten me this far I know that I should adopt a less chaotic system of writing. It seems I flip from one extreme to the other.   The most redeemable  quality of my approaches are that they both  tests my limits of how far I could think on a subject and how quickly I can put those ideas into a comprehensible piece of writing that could possibly earn me a high grade.

      4.   Trying something else? Maybe

I think I would cause less strain on my brain and less stress  if I tried a  more efficient way to write rather than excessive planning  or procrastinating without  revising. I think revising as I go and constantly editing my work while doing it on time would be better than what I've been doing.


Reflection: Reading the blogs of Lia and Bailey put my own writing process into perspective. Lias'  process seems to be really structured which I envy a bit, while Bailey's  although a roller coaster has it's on process and can get through revisions .  It makes me want to try and revise my work more thoroughly .

 http://lossannaeng109h.blogspot.com/2015/08/my-writing-process.html 

 http://bmattox.blogspot.com/2015/08/my-writing-process-rollercoaster.html?showComment=1440811479309#c2275063936764959609



3 comments:

  1. I consider myself to be somewhere between a heavy revisor and a procrastinator, so although two different sides of a spectrum, I can fully relate to most of what you said. The part about somehow wrangling your ideas into something pleasant was especially familiar to me. I also thought your openness to change was really cool. I have a hard time changing the way I do things, so I really admire that willingness. The only thing that I really disagreed with was the calling of your writing process "chaotic." I think that even though you don't write out your plans, what comes directly from your brain on to the paper is raw, authentic, and beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. For me, revising is pretty much the most enjoyable part of my writing process. I am the type of person that enjoys putting things into order and making sense out of craziness. However you plan everything out so thoroughly that I can see how you wouldn't have much to change. I have the same problem with procrastinating when the assignment isn't interesting though. I like that you are willing to change and I think with a little less procrastination and a little more revision writing might be a bit less stressful for you. But he said this class will knock the procrastination right out of us, so I think we're all hoping that's true!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Zayla!

    It was actually really encouraging to read about your writing process because my writing process/treatment of assignments is honestly incredibly similar to yours. It's awesome and I can really appreciate the obsessively fun quality to planning and thinking out an essay (but not necessarily writing it :P )

    Here are some follow up questions for you:

    Do you feel like what you wrote about your "explosive ideas" (I'm paraphrasing) and writing method held true during this course, or did your writing process turn out different due to something about how this course is structured (I'm thinking weekly deadlines)?

    Did you try any new writing methods this semester? For example, did you try having a more structured, piecemeal strategy or maybe just a stream of consciousness drafting process to contrast your normal planning method?

    Did you find yourself deeply interested (and thus obsessed with the writing of) the projects for this course? Which ones? Why and why not?

    Thanks for the read! Hope this semester has treated you well.

    -Mika Lorenzen
    Section 18

    P.S. I always thought of myself as a bird collecting ideas to make a weird idea-nest, not a supernova of exploding concepts. Cool stuff!

    ReplyDelete